Linking an Authenticator to an Account
An authenticator offers players an additional layer of security to help prevent unauthorised account access. If your account is connected to an authenticator, you will be asked to enter a valid authenticator token in addition to your account's email address and password whenever you try to log into the game or the Tibia website. Depending on the authenticator method you have chosen, you will receive this token either from an app or via email.
In Tibia players can choose between two methods: Two-Factor Email Code Authentication and Two-Factor Authenticator App. However, accounts can only be connected to one authentication method:
1. How to link your Tibia account to two-factor email code authentication:
- Log into your Tibia account and go to the section "Two-Factor Authentication". Look for "Activate email code authentication for your account!" and click on "Request".
- An email code will be sent to the email address assigned to your account. In case you do not receive our email, click on "Enter Email Code" in the section "Two-Factor Authentication", subsection "Two-Factor Email Code Authentication" and click on "Resend Email Code".
- Once you have received the token, log into your Tibia account, click on "Enter Email Code" in the section "Two-Factor Authentication", subsection "Two-Factor Email Code Authentication" and enter the received email code in the required field within 24 hours.
Note: If you should ever change your account's email address, the account stays linked to two-factor email code authentication. The email code will then be sent to the new email address.
2. How to link an authenticator app to a Tibia account:
- Log into your Tibia account and go to the section "Two-Factor Authentication". Look for "Connect your Tibia account to an authenticator app!" and click on "Request".
- Enter your recovery key! This is necessary because in case you lose access to the authenticatior app, you will need your recovery key or a recovery TAN to disconnect your Tibia account from the authenticator app. If you have lost your recovery key and have a correctly registered Tibia account, you can order a new recovery key using the Lost Account Interface on the website.
- Simply download the authenticator app of your choice to your device, e.g. Google Authenticator or Authy . Important: Make sure to use the authenticator app on a different device than the one you are playing Tibia on. An authenticator on the computer you use for playing Tibia will not help you to protect your account if somebody gains access to your computer.
- Log into your Tibia account and connect your authenticator app to your Tibia account by following the steps in the corresponding section on your account page.